Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TeaGschwendner in Rock Center- CLOSED

**note, this store is now closed :(**
TeaGschwender is a German tea chain that has stores all over the world.  According to their web site "Today TeaGschwendner has more than 130 shops in seven countries on four continents. We’re sharing the world’s finest teas with customers in locations such as Frankfurt, Germany; Vienna, Austria; Sao Paulo, Brazil; Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; and Chicago Illinois."

This tea chain has recently popped up in New York.  There is one on the Upper West Side, and a newer store in Rockefeller Center.  I took a quick chilly walk over from my office to the rock center store.  It is a retail store, without tables inside to sit and drink tea.  It is in a prime tourist and office location, so I imagine (and hope) they are doing well.

The store is small but they have a huge wall of teas to choose from, as well as an area for teaware.  On my visit there were two women behind the counter, both very friendly and helpful. This morning I was thinking about an autumnal Darjeeling that I had tried from SerendipiTea, and how I wanted to try a few more autumnal flushes, to see how they compare.  When I told the woman that I was interested in a Darjeeling, she immediately pulled out an autumnal one!  What a fun coincidence. She said it was a little different from the other Darjeelings, and an interesting one to try. It smelled lovely, so I definitely asked to take some.  After smelling a few others, I also went with a second flush Darjeeling. I don't really know much about this tea chain, so I asked the saleswoman what type of teas the chain was known for. She said the blacks such as Darjeeling and Assams, and Japanese green teas.  She also pointed out that they have a large selection of flavored rooibos.  After chatting a little bit about black teas, she gave me a small sample of her favorite Assam to take home. I love Assam, so I am excited to try it. She also included a tea scoop to easily measure out the tea.  A nice thing to keep in the office.

A review of the three teas will be coming very soon.  It is great to have a place with such a large selection of teas close to my office!  I'm glad I finally stopped in.
**note, this store is now closed :(**

No comments:

Post a Comment