Thursday, December 9, 2010

Choice Organic Teas Darjeeling

Darjeeling is one of my favorite teas, so whenever I see a brand I haven't tried before, I usually pick it up.  This particular Darjeeling is part of the 'Whole Leaf Organics' line from Choice Organic Teas.  I really do love what this company stands for- all of their products are organic, and Fair Trade Certified. In fact I just learned from the box that they were the first brand in the U.S. to offer Fair Trade Certified tea. They even put the teabags in a box made from 100% recycled materials. What's not to like about that?

Pyramid infuser with tea
Each tea bag is a 'pyrmaid infuser'. This tea bag shape seems to be gaining popularity, as I've seen it offered from all sorts of brands from high end to low. It is a good way to let the tea breathe a little bit, and spread out. Inside this 'infuser' is an appropriate portion of small broken tea leaves.  The leaves have a lovely sweet floral scent. I steeped the tea for the 4 minutes recommended on the box. The tea has a faint floral fragrance, along with a hint of that Darjeeling muscatel.  These aromas translate to the taste of the tea, but they are much weaker. There is a bitterness that dominates, pushing the other flavors to the background. It is a convenient bagged tea to keep around the office, and fine for every day drinking.  It is a strong tea, which I definitely need in the morning hours.  I don't think I will be adding it to my favorite Darjeelings, but it will definitely stay on the shelf for further use.

Choice Organics Estate Blend Darjeeling **1/2-- 2 1/2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment